ENG101 Assignment 2 Complete Solution 2017
ENG101 Assignment No 02 Solution Fall 2017
ASSIGNMENT Question no.1
Read the given passages carefully, and then identify the main pattern of organization used in each paragraph. The following graphic organizers are the options. You have to identify the appropriate title from the given graphic organizers and write in the blank given at the end of each passage.
1. The Revolutionary War was a time of great division. Americans were split into two groups: Patriots and Loyalists. Patriots were Americans who supported the struggle for independence. They believed that Americans should be free from the control of an English king. They fought against the English to establish a new government in America. Loyalists were Americans who remained loyal to the crown. Some of them were happy under English rule. Others believed that they might be rewarded after the Americans lost the war. Though both Patriots and Loyalists lived in America, a deep division ran between them.
2. If cotton candy had a list of ingredients on the side of the bag, it would be a very short list: sugar and food coloring would be the only two ingredients on it. So how does sugar become the fluffy treat that we know as cotton candy? In today’s cotton candy machines, the process starts with a small amount of colored sugar spinning in the head of the machine. The sugar is heated until it melts, and is squeezed out through tiny holes in the spinning head. The melted sugar becomes solid in the air and is caught in a larger bowl that surrounds the spinning head. The product builds up in the bowl as the machine operates, and the person running the machine occasionally twirls a stick or cone around the bowl to gather the sugared strands. You may not have a cotton candy machine lying around your house, but you probably have all of the ingredients that you need to make it. So close, yet so far.
3. The lack of rain and snow has a terrible effect on farmers. With no rain, their land dries up, and it becomes very difficult to grow anything. When the crops fail, the farmers do not have a choice but to get a second job in order to earn the required money. Farming itself is a full-time job and with a second job, farmers become overworked, stressed and even depressed. Many farmers end up selling their land. Some accept the government program, the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP), which pays farmers a certain amount of money to let their land stay out of production for a certain amount of years. While the land remains under the CRP program, some farmers take outside jobs. That is why when it doesn’t rain; you notice that most of the farmers become very crabby. As a farmer’s daughter, I have experienced some good times and some equally bad ones. That is why I have gained a great respect for farmers everywhere.
4. In 1821 the first public high school in the United States was started in Boston. By 1900, 31 states required children to attend school from the ages of 8 to 14. As a result, by 1910, 72 percent of American children attended school. Half the nation’s children attended one-room schools. In 1918, every state required students to complete elementary school. In 1954, the Supreme Court in Brown v. Board of Education unanimously declared that separate facilities were unconstitutional and desegregation began.
5. By some estimates, a mobile phone is lost in every second. A 2011 survey shows that about 22% of Americans have lost a mobile phone. When a person loses their phone, they don’t just lose a device that may have cost as much as $600; they lose phone numbers, photos, and sensitive information. If the phone isn’t locked and it gets lost or stolen, someone may use it to commit identity theft. Perhaps the worst part about this is that it cannot be prevented. Today’s smart phones have free applications that allow you to find your lost phone using GPS signals. Even if you cannot retrieve your phone, you can use these applications to delete your data so that you are less likely to become a victim of identity theft. Losing your phone feels horrible, but if you take the time to install a phone-finding app, you’ll be better prepared to deal with it.
ASSIGNMENT QUESTION NO.2
Making inferences is important for understanding the context. Try your hand at making inferences from the following photograph. Take a guess at what’s going on – the motives, situations, thoughts, or actions of the people/objects involved in this picture – then write an imaginary story making sure to use the evidence in the picture as a guide. Also, give the story a suitable title.
Note: Imaginary story should comprise 400-500 words.
(10 Marks = 8+2)
Suitable Title: ___________________________.
Imaginary Story: ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.